Featured post

Snowdonia Peaks

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Holme Knott & The River Rawthey 14-7-13

Following on from our Hawsewater walk on the Saturday, I decided to have a bit of a wander up the fell overlooking the campsite, Holme Knott, followed by a walk along the river that runs by the site, the River Rawthey. This isn't a big fell but it is a good walk that offers great views over Sedbergh, The Howgills, the high lakeland fells and over to the West Cumbria coast. The walk starts straight out of the campsite, through the farm, onto the tarmac lane that takes you steadily up to the bottom of Holme Knott
There is a bridleway track that takes you stright to the summit but I used this as my descent path. I followed the road round for quite a bit and the views over Sedbergh and the Howgills soon started to open up as I came across a good rest area
I followed the road for a bit more before I took to a track that led me diagonally up a field and onto a wall that I followed going straight up and looked down on the campsite and surrounding fields
Following the wall and a bit a clambouring about soon bought me out near to the summit trigpoint. Some good but hazy views to be had and also I could now see all of the walk that I did just before Christmas 2012 with other members of the walkers forum around the Howgills, including Winder Fell & The Calf
A quick stop for a bite to eat and it was just a case of picking up the bridle path and back down to the farm
After a drink and rest, me & Jill then picked up the path at the bottom of the campsite that took us on a circular two mile walk along the river, through the fields, onto an old train track and back to the campsite. An interseting walk where we saw a kingfisher, heron's and various other wild life and also showed just how low the river level is in this dry hot spell.
Another great day to end a great weekend away :-)

1 comment: