Featured post

Snowdonia Peaks

Wednesday 19 August 2020

The Bollin Valley Way Part Two 8th August 2020

Well here we are again on the Bollin Valley Way, this time starting from close to Hale Golf Course where I finished the first part last week. Just like last week the weather played ball, nice and warm but this time without any rain although it was quite humid but good clear dry walking conditions. To get to the start of the walk meant getting a bus into Altrincham where I hoped to get another to take me near to where I needed to be but that bus pulled out of the station as my first bus was pulling in!! Oh well, the walk would do me good to get my legs warmed up for todays 10 mile, although with the added 3 mile to get there and another couple at the end of the day, meant around a good 15 mles for the day. This part of the BVW only takes you along the River for a short time as it passes through the DUNHAM MASSEY ESTATE before you leave it altogether. You do get to walk along part of the MANCHESTER SHIP CANAL at the end of the walk which the River Bollin goes into further down stream.
I made my way to the bridge that goes over the Bollin near to the golf club and made my way up through a small wood coming out in a farmers field that looked great with the blue sky above golden crops, a great summer scene to start the day. Through the fields and out onto Castle Mill Lane, a couple of miles or so from where I was last week passing the Castle Mill Trig Point. I followed the busy road towards Coppice Farm where I then headed into more fields towards Ryecroft Farm before heading in to the Dunham Massey Estate by crossing the busy A56 which is the main Manchester to Chester route. Just before you get to the A56, there is is an early medieval MOTTE-and-BAILEY by the name of WATCH HILL CASTLE, that I never knew about, even though I grow up and went to school in the area. It's thought to be the most important archaeological site in the borough of Trafford, which can't be a bad thing, just a pity not many folk know about it although it is marked on the map. There is a boundary stone in the bottom of the ditch to the west of the motte bearing the initials S on the west face and C on the east face. This marks the limit of the estate of Lord Stamford at the time that he gave the farmland and castle to the Church Commissioners early in this century. With it being such a good piece of history for the borough, I was expecting it to be a bit more preserved than the overgrown lump that it was. Would be nice for people to know more about it but then it may cost a bit to preserve. A nice bit of history anyway :-)
Off we go again
Bridge across the River Bollin
Golden fields and blue sky it must be summer
Down the farm track or through the field
Down the farm track
Across the field
Into the woods
Through the woods and past another farm you come to the Motte and Bailey just before you cross the busy A56
Through more trees
River Bollin with Watch Hill Castle up on the right
Boundary Stone and path to Watch Hill Castle
The overgrown Watch Hill Castle
The overgrown Watch Hill Castle
Crossing the busy A56
After crossing the A56, it was in to the Dunham Massey Estate and walking next to the river once more. Again, this was a very quiet part of the walk with only a few people out along this stretch, but it did look busy in and around Dunham Park judging by the cars in the car parks and on the lane where the SWAN WITH TWO NICKS pub is. Having been in this pub a few times I can recommend it for both drinks and food but it does get busy on nice warm days like today and especially at weekends. I didn't go in today as I had my rest by the river before I passed the pub, planning instead to visit a watering hole a bit later on where I know it won't be as busy. A few cows in the fields but they were more interested in resting in the warmth of the day to be bothered about anybody walking past them.
Through the gate in to the Dunham Massey Estate
Past the cows
The cows have made their own beach
Reflections on the River Bollin
Crossing the River Bollin towards the Swan With Two Nicks
Wier on the Bollin
The Swan With Two Nicks
Passing the Swan I turned right on to an old cobbled lane that takes you under the BRIDGEWATER CANAL and in to more fields with more cows in. As I have said before, I've walked around this area countless times and never tire of it and just like learning about the old Motte and Bailey (watch hill castle) I learnt something else about the tunnel under the canal that I have never noticed until I read about it in the BVW No.3 leaflet and came as a bit of a suprise. On the left hand side face as you approach, there is a moulded face which is dated 14-4-75 and I have no idea what it's about. At a guess, I think it must be something to do with repairs that have been carried out by builders as there has been on or two over the years, other than that I don't really know but I guess not many people know it's there, I've certainly never seen it before and never read about it in any description so I guess it was from some repair work. Another quirky tale to tell :-)
Down the cobbled lane
Going under the canal. The face is on the lefthand side
Moulded face and date 19-4-75
Passing more relaxed cow
Although I left the River Bollin behind at the bridge crossing just before The Swan, going through these fields took me over the Bollin for the very last time on the walk as I headed towards a favourite summer watering hole, The Vine in Dunham, which I come to quite often when out biking around the lanes, tow paths and bridleway around this area. Its very close to the TRANS PENINNE TRAIL, (a 215 mile trail from coast-to-coast between Southport on the West Coast and Hornsea on the East Coast) and attracts cyclists and walkers looking for a bit of refreshment on their day out and it was certainly welcomed today as it was now very warm in the hazy sunshine. In fact with it being quite clear, I had a good view of the distant WINTER HILL RADIO TRANSMITTER and also the SCOUT MOOR WIND FARM around 20 odd miles away.
Walkers Retreat it is then
Seat with a view
View to the Winter Hill Transmitter above Horwich
View to Scout Moor Wind Farm above Ramsbottom
Over the River Bollin for the last time
Over the River Bollin for the last time
The Vine, a welcome rest
Cheers :-)
On leaving The Vine, it was down the quiet Barns Lane for a couple of hundred yards before going through another field that brings you out on the Trans Peninne Trail that I crossed to go through more fields before a bit of road walking. I very nearly missed the turning off Barns Lane as the sign post that I was looking for, has been knocked down. Good job I checked my route as I knew I'd gone a little bit to far and one reason to keep a planned route and know what to look out for :-) One of the fields had quite a lot of Sunflowers in that looked really good and a change from the usual crops I had seen up to now. Along Paddock Lane towards the village of Warburton where I turned off and headed along a path that takes you along side the Manchester Ship Canal heading into Partington. As you head along this path you get a good sight of the WARBURTON TOLL BRIDGE that goes over the Ship Canal
Nearly missed this turning as the post has been knocked down
Heading towards the TPT
A mouse eye view of the path
On to the TPT

Sunflowers
Sunflower
Approaching the busy Bent Lane
On to Bent Lane Warburton
Warburton Parish Church
Turn off on to the Ship Canal
Warburton Toll Bridge
As I said, this last bit was to follow the Ship Canal to Partington and the finish line of the Bollin Valley Way. Another great day in very good walking weather that was also very quiet with not many other people going my way. A few in and around Dunham Park and also on the TPT but apart from that it was very quiet. There was probably more people at the pub, that shows how warm it was :-)
Along the Manchester Ship Canal
Along the Manchester Ship Canal
Over Partington Bridge
The end of the my Journey
The end/start of the Bollin Valley Way
So the final 10 miles of the BVW was another great days walking, although with the walk to the start and another 2 mile walk to the shops for a lift home, it turned the days walking to around 15 miles so not a bad effort. I've really enjoyed the two days walking on this walk and I know that I will continue to walk around the BVW for as long as I'm able to. Its a great walk if you like your walks more flat, taking in rivers, the countyside, villages and a small bit of road walking. Done on a good dry day it certainly makes for a great day out
Cheers :-)


3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed that Andy, always great commmentry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great and very interesting and inspired me to want to do it too!! Thanks Andy

    ReplyDelete